Sunday, June 18, 2017

Rice Armor


Shown above is my Hanayo armor. This armor made its debut on the Love Live! Wedding themed event, held at Red Monster Shop. See previous post for more details. People were amazed on the armor, during the event.

Rice Armor Concept

I've known that for armors, bags are usually used. Since bags are always useful as these carry your stuff during conventions, these are commonly used. Trinkets and button pins are placed in these bags. I did not like placing my button pins or trinkets on my bag, since these tend to fall off. In fact, I've lost some pins before, because of placing them on the bag.

I wanted mine to be something different. For four straight 2017 conventions, I've been using the same Hanayo jacket, namely Otaku Expo, Ozine Fest, Cosplay Carnival, and Okun Fiesta. Since I've amassed a good amount of Hanayo items, I thought of using them already.



Hanayo loves rice, and the onigiri came into mind. The concept of the armor in the form of a shield is different. Because of the unfair treatment of Klab during Hanayo's birthday, and then the spawn of the haters in an online group, I'd thought of being someone who would protect Hanayo from these people. I wanted to be Hanayo's knight in shining armor.

Materials used:
1/8 illustration board x2
black pentel pen
mini drill
resistors
solid wire
eva foam

I used the hardest illustration board that I can find in the bookstore. I just used my imagination, and drew a half onigiri on one board. Then for the hard part, cutting the board. Then I used the half as a guide to draw the other half, and cut.

Thanks to my course (electronics engineering), I have a mini drill which is used for circuit boards. This is what I used for drilling holes on the illustration board. I used the thickest drill bit that I have in stock, so whatever goes through the holes can be done easily.


I used the small resistors, and some solid wires as the attachment guides, where the trinkets will be placed.

Resistors
Solid wire
For the shield, without the trinkets, I spent only around P45, for the two illustration boards. I already have the other stuff in stock so I don't have to spend more.


How did I attach the resistors and the wires? Simple, pass them through the holes, then twist-tie them at the back. This is what it looks like at the back.

For the shield handle, I used eva foam, since it is the only one I got which is kinda usable. I don't want to use something really hard, because I might damage the shield. A strip of eva foam is used for each half of the shield, for better support. The resistors in the middle which holds the halves also holds the handle strips. It's not the most stable, but at least it gets the job done.

I could have used a 1/4 illustration board, so I don't need to join them together, but 2x 1/8 boards is better for me. I prefer smaller, for easier storage and transportation. Binding them together is not difficult anyway.


On the left side are the original Love Live! products, bought at bargain prices. On the right, mostly are fan-made stuff, bought at artist booths on conventions. I was asked which of these trinkets is my favorite. To be honest, it's hard to decide, but I think I'll choose the huge Snow Halation Hanayo on the top right corner. It's one of my first Hanayo trinket, and the artwork is so cute.

I still have a lot of button pins, but I don't know where to place them.

This is just my prototype. In the future, maybe I'll replace the illustration board with a light wooden board. Maybe I'll make a sleeve out of plastic cover, to better protect the shield.

When I find the time again, I guess I'll work on the sleeve first. I also have to fix those twisted wires at the back, for better presentation.

Watch out for the shield on my next convention appearance. I will see what name I could call myself as I wear the jacket again, and equip the shield. Maybe a rice scooper as the weapon?

No comments:

Post a Comment